Bedford Blues tasted defeat for the first time this season as they were on the receiving end of a 45-25 loss against Ealing Trailfinders.

The Blues will be sorely disappointed with the second half which saw the host running away with the game and Bedford just couldn't find a way back into it.

Speaking at the full time whistle, hooker Tom Lindsay said: "I felt that we had it until half time but then silly errors and a couple of penalties let us down. They built pressure and it was hard to stop them.

"That said, I think that this is a fantastic learning curve for us as a team. We've come off the back of two good wins and it had been a reality check for us. We know that we've got so much more to give on the pitch and I can't wait for next week."

To say it was an electric start to the game at Vallis Way would be an understatement with three tries coming in the opening nine minutes.

An Ealing scrum released the backs but a pass looked inviting to the Blues who looked to intercept, but it reached Piers O'Conor's hands and he surged towards the line before being stopped short. However, the former Blue popped the ball to the supporting James Cordy-Redden who dotted down with Peter Lydon converting.

Bedford heads weren't down for long though as they went straight up the other end to score. A fine break from Mike Le Bourgeois with Chris Czekaj carrying set the wheels in motion before the forwards played some great pick and go moves to edge onwards. Lee Dickson and Harry Sheppard linked well before Adamson had the pace to score and Sheppard levelled things with the conversion.

Three minutes later and Bedford were ahead with the move starting off a fantastic grubber kick from Alex Rae which allowed Elliot Clements-Hill to break on the right wing. Bedford went through the phase and were knocking on the door when Dickson released Adamson for his second which went unconverted.

Back came Ealing though and particularly the dancing feet of Piers O'Conor as he pirouetted his way over the Blues try line with Lydon adding the extras.

Lydon then and Sheppard then exchanged penalties twice to see the score line reading 20-18 as the half came to an end.

Bedford never really got fully into their stride during the opening exchanges of the second half as Ealing took a strangle hold on the game. 

The Blues were pinged at a scrum and then a lineout which led to the home side driving over from close range with Alun Walker coming up with the ball in the 50th minute. Five minutes later and another lineout led to Barney Maddison crashing over with Lydon converting both to make it 34-18.

Bedford's discipline was costing them at times and Ealing took full advantage to have the majority of possession and territory. Another lineout saw the ball recycled well to the right wing and Reddy-Corden went over for his second before Lydon added a 70th minute penalty moving the score to 42-18.

The Blues did come away with another score as they made a rare visit to Ealing's 22. The forwards once again proved pivotal as they crashed forward before Jordan Burns sniped over from close range and Sheppard added the extras.

Bedford's hopes for a fourth score which would give at least a try bonus point were snuffed out by the hosts though who rarely allowed the Blues back into their half. Constant pressure paid off and a penalty from Lydon was the final points of the game.

The Blues have a huge week ahead as they prepare for the visit of Bristol to Goldington Road next Saturday.


Next Home Match

Friday 23rd August
1st XV Pre Season
Goldington Road