Bedford made it a perfect ten in the British & Irish Cup as they followed up their bonus point win over Nottingham last weekend with another on Saturday against the Ospreys Premiership Select.

Bedford ran in seven tries during the afternoon with Dean Adamson, Jacob Fields, Lee Dickson, Jordan Onojaife, Will Carrick-Smith, Elliot Clements-Hill and Chris Czekaj all scoring while Harry Sheppard added four conversions on a blustery afternoon.

Speaking after the game, Pinks hooker Jacob Fields said: “It was a bit loose in places out there and we didn’t play to our full potential, but we got the bonus point win and that’s all that matters. It was a lot of fun out there today and I got the chance to dust off a few cobwebs.

“It’s always difficult when you’re facing a team that you don’t know much about. We expected them to play up the middle, but they spread it around a lot and really run hard at us.

“We now need to take this momentum back into the league next weekend.”

It was certainly a back and forth opening 40 minutes at Goldington Road with neither team really taking full control. That said, there were plenty of tries and it took just five minutes for the scoreboard to start rolling with Ospreys going over. Bedford were guilty of dilly-dallying at the back of a scrum and Josh Cole was quick off the mark to win the ball back before it went down the line to Joe Thomas to score an unconverted effort.

Bedford, who were playing up the slope, found their feet and made their way towards the Ospreys 22 with a penalty allowing them to send the ball to touch. The lineout drive was on but the Ospreys stopped it illegally, so the Pinks ran the ball with Harry Sheppard playing a delightful inside pass to Dean Adamson who scored with Sheppard converting.

The Ospreys weren’t deterred though and straight back they came again with things being orchestrated by their nine/ten combo of Matthew Aubury and Luke Price. A scrum saw the attack go right before the ball was sent back the other way with Dafydd Howells running a superb line to score under the posts giving Price a simple conversion.

It was end-to-end with Bedford making territory once again and Ospreys ill-discipline allowing the Pinks to go to the corner again. Jacob Fields sent the lineout ball in before getting to the back of the maul to score as the pack trundled over for an unconverted try which levelled things at 12-12 after 22 minutes.

The game then turned topsy-turvy with neither team really able to enjoy long periods of possession. The Ospreys had the best chance in the 38th minute when they created a four on two attack, but the final pass went straight to touch giving Bedford a huge let off.

It also turned out to be the catalyst for the Pinks third try. The lineout was followed by a kick up field. Ospreys went quick, but when their man was caught and a ruck formed, they went in from the side allowing Bedford to send the ball deep into touch. Another penalty followed and Sheppard sent the ball five metres from the line. Fields found Will Carrick-Smith with the ball, the maul formed and powered over with Dickson being the man to dot down while both sets of forwards had a ‘discussion’ before the ref awarded the score which went unconverted as the half-time whistle went.

The second half saw Bedford start in a patient and controlling fashion as they edged their way down the field with the forwards taking the chance to crash through. Ed Taylor, Ben Adams and Jack Nay all carried well with Alex Penny and Camilo Parilli-Ocampo inching forward before Jordan Onojaife dotted down from close range with Sheppard converting.

Using the slope to their advantage, Bedford took control of the game and were celebrating their fifth try just five minutes later. Once again it was the forwards who took control with Will Carrick-Smith reaching over the line and Sheppard converting once again.

Bedford were certainly ‘in the pink’ when Elliot Clements-Hill raced over in the 56th minute before Chris Czekaj was on hand to finish off the seventh of the Blues tries in the 68th minute. Ospreys continued to battle and got their reward in the 80th minute when Jay Baker completed a fine attacking move with Price converting, but there wasn’t enough time for the visitors to try and find the try bonus point.

Bedford return to league action next weekend when they head to Leeds to face Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley.


See more of Nigel Rudgard's pictures at

Next Home Match

Saturday 21st September
1st XV Cup
Goldington Road